Intent Statement for Physical Education at Gawsworth Primary School
At Gawsworth Primary School we aim to provide the highest possible standards of education for all of our pupils, within a caring, happy and safe environment, where all individuals who work in and with the school are equally valued. We recognise the important role that physical education plays in the social, physical and cognitive development of children. It provides the foundation of a healthy lifestyle and contributes to the all-round development of the child.
We inspire all pupils to succeed and excel in competitive sports and other physically-demanding activities, such as those provided in our residential visits. We will provide opportunities for pupils to become physically confident in a way which supports their health and fitness. Our children will have opportunities to compete in sport and other activities that build character and help to embed the school core values of Aspiration, Equality, Innovation, Pride and Respect. PE at Gawsworth Primary School is an essential part of the curriculum, which develops a need for healthy lifestyles, a balanced diet, positive growth mind-set and the resilience to persevere with activities that may be once have felt too difficult. We are passionate about the need to teach children how to cooperate and collaborate with others, as part of a team, understanding fairness and sporting behaviours to embed life-long participation in physical activity.
- To develop physical competence and to promote physical development.
- To develop skilful use of the body, the ability to remember, repeat and refine actions and to perform them with increasing control, coordination and fluency. (acquiring and developing).
- To develop an increasing ability to select, link and apply skills, tactics and compositional ideas (selecting and applying).
- To recognise through experience the benefits of participation in physical activities in an enjoyable, safe and challenging way.
- To develop observation skills and show an appreciation of skilful and creative physical performances across the areas of activity.
- To use their observations to make judgements about their own and others work to improve their performance (improving and evaluating).
- To understand the effects of exercise on the body and know how to exercise safely (knowledge and understanding of fitness and health).
- To contribute towards the development of problem solving skills, e.g. making up and refining their own games.
- To develop the ability to work independently and to develop inter-personal skills through working with others in group or team exercise (working alone and with others).
- To develop their understanding of safe practice and a responsibility towards their own and others’ safety (applying safety principles).
- To develop the personal qualities of commitment, fairness and enthusiasm through making decisions and selecting, refining, judging and adapting movements.
- To develop a positive attitude towards fair play, honest competition and good sporting behaviour.
- To understand and cope with a variety of outcomes, including success and failure.
- To establish self-esteem through the development of physical confidence.
The overwhelming majority of pupils at Gawsworth Primary School will meet the expectations of the physical education curriculum by the end of Key Stage 2. A higher than average percentage of children will exceed the age-related expectations of the curriculum with opportunities to excel in different sports at a local, regional and national level.