Design and Technology
Design and Technology
Gawsworth Primary School
Design and Technology is an inspiring, rigorous and practical subject that encourages children to learn to think and intervene creatively to solve problems, both as individuals and as members of a team.
At Gawsworth Primary School, we encourage children to use their creativity and imagination, to design and make products that solve real and relevant problems within a variety of contexts. We also aim to make links to designs and designers throughout history, providing opportunities for children to critically reflect upon and evaluate their designs.
We aim to, wherever possible, link work to other disciplines such as mathematics, science, engineering, computing and art. This gives the learning purpose and relevance to the children.
Through a variety of creative and practical activities, we teach the knowledge, understanding and skills needed to engage in an interactive process of designing and making:
- Design – use research and develop design criteria to design for a purpose and communicate their ideas through a range of mediums.
- Make – use a wider range of tools and equipment with accuracy and use a wider range of materials and components according to their qualities.
- Evaluate – evaluate their ideas and products against their own design criteria and consider the views of others to improve their work.
Through this process, the aim is to develop the pupils’ technical knowledge and vocabulary in relation to structural design, mechanical and electrical systems, the integration of technology and food production and nutrition. In addition, the school aims for these tasks to be completed collaboratively and therefore links directly with the school values of TEAMWORK.
We use a range of Key Performance Indicators and quizzes to ensure pupils develop the following:
- Develop the creative, technical and practical expertise needed to perform everyday tasks confidently.
- Build and apply a repertoire of knowledge, understanding and skills in order to design and make high-quality prototypes and products for a wide range of users and critique, evaluate and test their ideas and products and the work of others.
- Understand and apply the principles of nutrition and learn how to cook. Children will design and make a range of products.
- Develop a critical understanding of its impact on daily life and the wider world.
Here at Gawsworth, we are very proud to be leading the way in raising the profile of Design Technology as a subject, that can be utilised and applied in the 'real modern world' in which our children live. We have been working closely with Manchester University on a STEM project which combines the teaching and learning of Science and Design Technology to inspire other practitioners in schools nationwide. This project has recently been presented to the Royal Academy of Engineering and will be published later on this academic year. We are excited to have been invited to continue to work with the university to continue to raise the profile of this valuable subject natiowide.
Interactive Games linked to Design Technology - Design Tech - Topmarks Search
James Dyson Foundation - Home (jamesdysonfoundation.co.uk)
Modern Designers and their products - Top 30 Famous Industrial Designers & Product Developers Worldwide | Cad Crowd
World Famous British Designers - Best of British: 7 influential designers we’re proud to call our own (sun-strategy.com)